Friday, October 16, 2009

A Bit Of Housekeeping and Some Dwell Time

It's been a busy week and much has been going on in my research about the Marian Baker murder case and about Marian herself.
I've never "taken the wheel" where all of this research is concerned and from time to time the focus shifts, all by itself or with a nudge or two.
My source information has been "the book". I now use the quotation marks simply because most know now what I mean when I reference it, and because I have come to learn much about the book itself, the author and the motivation behind it.
I held Mr. Gehman in a position of legitimate source. Now, through my own research, and by being able to verify the information of others who know about facets of the case, it's clear that Mr. Gehman did a very perfunctory job of retelling the story. Some of his facts are garishly off the mark. Even simple facts.
When I was doing research and I'd uncover a gross inconsistency and assume I must be in error. No, I wasn't. Mr. Gehman played hard and fast with the facts.
Clearly the book was written with a superficiality that is an insult to Marian Baker, her family and all who knew and loved her.
I've always been able to "read" Mr. Gehman. I didn't miss the insults, the tongue-in-cheek barbs speared at Lancastrians and their "ways". I chalked that up to a "local boy done good" and being a big too big for his britches once he was a published author. Instead of remembering from whence he came and being proud of it, he seems to have adopted a rather exalted self-view.
Mr. Geman was a lazy author. He relied heavily on the help of others instead of doing the work himself.
I know that writers write to satisfy their own need to write. I know that they also write to balance some scales, even if they only exist in their own minds. And they write to make money.
I believe that was a quick, easy project in Mr. Gehman's eyes. There was no depth here. And his treatment or lack of any, with the facts, is clear now.
His book is not a "learned tome". It is a superficial, haphazard retelling of an event.
Nothing more.
Marian's family was unhappy about the book. I had an understanding of that right away, given our own desire for privacy, especially surrounding one of the most painful chapters in our lives.
But the author's motives and performance were crystal clear to them at the outset. This was sensationalizing and profitizing of the heinous murder of a beautiful member of their family.
The book served no purpose other than to make Mr. Gehman a bit richer and to have yet another title to add to his list.
We all have our own demons to slay or at least put at bay. I wonder how Mr. Gehman felt about his project with Marian's brutal murder.

0 comments: