Sunday, March 8, 2009

Where Marian Baker Worked and Met Edward Lester Gibbs


I found this site a while back while researching possibly haunted sites around Lancaster County, PA. I hadn't heard the stories of a possible haunting in Stager Hall until I found the site. I am still amazed that I didn't check out the campus more when I did my research there on weekends, when home from LVC. I spent many hours in the library there as well as at Millersville.
I now wish I would have checked out Stager before any renovations and also East Hall Dorm, which is no more. I will check into the date of the demolition of the dorm in which Ed and Helen Gibbs lived.
I know this could also be posted on the "Spooky" part of my blog, but it fits here as well. I may post in both locations. I have taken this from the website with the photo. I also have pics of several sites in Pitman, New Jersey, Ed Gibb's hometown that I will post for you.


Stager Hall

Classrooms and Offices

Specific Location to Watch For: Baker/Gibbs case would involve the first or the second floor. Dissecting theater was on third floor.

Background:
Stager Hall was redubbed as such in the mid 1980s after extensive renovations. Before that, it had been called "Stahr Hall" after former President Stahr, and before that it was simply "The Science Building". Although the building usually housed classrooms, for a while in mid-20th century it was also the home of the administrative offices.

Deaths/Morbid Stories:
In Stager's early days as the college's Science Building, the Biology department's Anatomy students dissected cadavers on the third floor. See Dietz-Santee Hall for related story.

The more prominent story in regard to Stager is the tragic murder case of Marion Baker in 1950. Marion Baker, 21, had worked as a stenographer in the Treasurer's office (presumably located in Stahr Hall) since she graduated from high school. She was recently engaged, and lived nearby in a boarding house. Edward Gibbs, 25, was a married F&M senior who lived with his wife in East Hall (currently the Roschel construction site). He studied business, worked in the Campus Bookshop, played football, and was a Sigma Pi brother. He, along with many other F&M men at the time, was a war veteran, having served in Italy during WWII.

On January 10th, 1950, Marion Baker took a bus downtown to run some errands. As she walked out of the post office, she ran into Edward L. Gibbs, who offered to drive her back to campus. She accepted since she knew Gibbs from his frequent visits to the treasurer's office to make deposits for the bookstore. He drove her to a secluded spot to the south of town instead, and strangled and bludgeoned her to death. After her body was discovered and the search intensified for her killer, Edward Gibbs walked into President Distler's office and confessed. During his trial he could only offer "impulse" as his reason for senselessly murdering Marion Baker. After a closely-watched trial, Edward Gibbs was sentenced to death. He was executed in the state's electric chair in 1951.

Ghost Stories:
Possibly due to the extensive renovations over the years, no ghost stories have been reported.





0 comments: