Monday, March 30, 2009

A Call To Amy Rothermel, Esquire

After a few meetings this morning, I hope to speak with Amy Rothermel, Esq., Angie Funk's attorney this afternoon.
I took some time to process the latest happenings involving her client and the letter(s) that were sent. I haven't received one but would expect to, given my outspoken criticism of her client.
I would like to at least introduce myself to her via the phone and make my position known.
I have never seen any member of the Bar as an adversary and actually hold them in awe, given their education and expertise.
I fully appreciate my rights as protected by the First Amendment but I also fully understand an individual's rights to protection from invasion or privacy and stalking and well as libel.
Simply having to read an opinion posted that is negative or insulting isn't grounds for legal recourse. As I have learned, there is no law against having your feelings hurt LOL But there are laws against privacy invasion etc which I posted earlier.
If that were the case, I'd have a slam dunk in my pocket right now against the latest psycho babble I've read. Well, make that the babbling of a psycho lol
In any case, I have no problem discussing any of my blog posts with Ms. Rothermel. I am not "waxing indignant" should she send me a letter as well.
She is doing her job in protecting the rights of her client. And if at any time, my actions breach the law, I stand accountable.
I am a fan of accountability and autonomy.
I came across some legal findings in states other than PA so far, where a judge has ordered a forum owner to produce any and all documentation to assist in revealing the real and true identities of anonymous posters on the forums. There is more than one reference and although it's a slim chance that it will go that far, this attorney could want to be ground breaking in the state of PA.
To quote one attorney, "You are protected under the First Amendment if you are doing it right. If not, you are not."
I know that in the Salisbury, Maryland area a local politico, I believe it was, filed against a blogger for libel but I don't know the outcome of that lawsuit. I'll check it out and post that and some of the references I've found pertaining to libel in the forum setting and blogs in general.
Well, it's off to a few meetings and then hopefully I will be able to speak with Ms. Rothermel.
I hope I can be of some help to her. I know that I will be completely forthcoming at the very least!
But if any forum owner blindly believes that they will never be put in a position to produce any and all information that they possess to assist in the identification of anonymous posters, they have their head in the sand.
The First Amendment is not a shield. The times are changing.
I'll get those references posted about that when I get back later today!

0 comments: