Thursday, May 28, 2015

It's Almost Like Starting From Scratch

The Exact Location Of the Killing


I have been trying to ascertain the exact location of the Martin Mylin Harnish cottage. Thank heavens for GPS and a cemetery researcher who had the incredible sense to include the coordinates of the murder site in his short biography of Marian Louise Baker on her grave website.

As a small girl I had no idea how close I was when I played with a school friend at his home all those years ago.

I have been rereading the book, no title given, I refuse to give that author anymore advertising. I am documenting every error that I personally know of and will address them in my upcoming book. He got some of it right but got far more wrong. That is a great disservice to Marian and those who loved her, as well as the readers who relied on him for an honest retelling of the crime.

To quote one of Marian's relatives who loved her dearly and spent many days with her in the F&M days, "Ed Gibbs was a liar to the end."
Yes, he surely was.
His whole account of the ride to the cottage that is less and less plausible.
Earlier in the day, Marian was rushed and even said that she wished she didn't have to go downtown to the bank. She was worried she would miss her hair appointment.
According to Gibbs, when he offered her the ride back to campus he asked her if she was in a hurry to get back and she replied, "No." Really?
The personal friend and witness that Marian spoke to is far more believable than Ed Gibbs. What did he say to Marian as he made the left turn down onto Prince Street rather than head back to F&M? What lie did he conjure to head south and out of town?

0 comments: